The Best Baby Bottle Sterilizer You Need to Buy for Your Baby’s Health 2017
For parents who want to make sure that their babies are safe and free from any toxins from the bottle, you should invest in the best baby bottle sterilizer that will help steam and remove the bacteria from it. But with the many types of sterilizers available, which one should you invest in? Read on as I show you the ultimate purchasing guide to the best baby bottle sterilizer to date.
What Are Baby Bottle Sterilizers?
Once your baby reaches the stage of using a baby bottle, then you'll need to learn about the ways to properly clean it to get rid of any form of bacteria that may hide it. And while putting it in the dishwasher would be safe, it won't exactly clean the bottle entirely.
That's why there are methods on how you can properly sterilize the bottle to keep your baby safe from any form of hidden dirt that can cause sickness or allergies. While you'll be able to clean your baby bottles through steaming them manually, it can be a hassle to do so.
This is where baby bottle sterilizers come to the rescue. These electric or microwave-safe sterilizers are containers you would use to steam bottles properly, without having to boil water or anything. You only microwave or let it heat up with the use of electricity, and it will be properly sterilized and stored for the day ahead.
The Benefits of Using Baby Bottle Sterilizers
You're probably wondering: Isn't it just enough to hand wash your baby's bottles? Why bother sterilizing it? Here are some vital reasons as to why sterilizing baby bottles are essential for both you and the baby:
The main reason as to why parents sterilize baby bottles is because some harmful viruses or bacteria would still flow around the item despite washing it. And because babies are susceptible to many types of illnesses, even the smallest of bacteria found in the things they use can pose harm.With a sterilizer, you will be able to reduce the risk of illnesses, with the product killing up to 99.99% of bacteria.
2. Save Time and Hassle
If you have thought of sterilizing baby bottles before, you might be thinking about the amount of time and work wasted because of having to heat water and look for a container big enough to hold multiple bottles. A baby bottle sterilizer won't only take a few minutes to complete sterilization, but it can hold more than two bottles, saving both time and effort on having to steam it yourself.
3. Multiple Accessories
Do you use a breast pump because of your milk flow lessening while breastfeeding your baby? Well, not only can the baby bottle sterilizer work for bottles, but you can also sterilize your breast pump to ensure bacteria-free milk flowing into the pump and the bottle or bag.
How to Use a Baby Bottle Sterilizer
How do you use a baby bottle sterilizer anyway? Here are the tips you should follow in sterilizing baby bottles with the use of steamers:
- When you just purchased new bottles, be sure to wash and clean them before using it. For bottles that were just used, you should wash it before sterilization. Parents should take extra caution in sterilizing bottles of babies who were such to avoid re-infecting them with the same germs his bottle came in contact with.
- To properly sterilize the bottles, follow the manufacturer's instructions and place the bottles or equipment with the opening facing downward. This allows steam to sterilize the whole feeding gear.
- Avoid overcrowding sterilizers, as this would end up either slowing down the sterilization process, or the equipment won't be cleaned as properly.
- If you plan on using a microwave sterilizer, then avoid overheating the bottles. It's best to microwave it on high for the maximum time allowed. Be sure not to add anything metal in the microwave to avoid damage and accidents.
- Don't remove the lid until the bottles are completely sterilized. If you are storing it, you can keep it sterilized for until a day as long as you avoid leaving the lid open for extended periods.
Here is an excellent video on how you can use bottle sterilizers:
How to Purchase the Best Baby Bottle Sterilizer
Now that you're familiar with how baby bottle sterilizers work, the next question is how to buy the best one suitable for you and your baby. Here are some factors and tips to consider when doing so:
1. Type of Sterilizer
There are three types to choose from:
- Cold Water - These are soaked in a solution for half an hour and must be rinsed in boiling water before using it. It uses a cleaning solution, which gives a smell that your baby might not enjoy.
- Microwave - They would kill bacteria from the heat it gets from microwaving, taking three to eight minutes to steam and sterilize properly. BUT, you cannot sterilize metal items, which aren't allowed in the microwave.
- Electric - There are no chemicals or rinsing that needs to be done. Plug the outlet in the wall and let it steam by itself, which would take six to 15 minutes. They are the most convenient way to sterilize if you have more bottles and equipment, or if you have no microwave.
How many bottles of you plan on sterilizing per day? Some babies require as much as six to ten bottles a day, or you might have twins that need double that. Or if you use sippy cups and breast pump accessories, it's best to find a bigger sterilizer that can fit all these items without worry of it breaking down.
3. Safety and Easy Features
I would recommend you to get a sterilizer with extra features that make sterilizing bottles and other baby equipment accessible and safer. Some sterilizers come with an alarm or automatic sterilization for less hassle, as well as water filters and other accessories that make it less of a hassle to clean and get the baby bottles out of the tray.
Top Five Best Baby Bottle Sterilizers
Based on our research, tests, and overall customer reviews, here are the top five baby bottle sterilizers one can invest in today:
What I love about the Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer is how easy it is to use! All I need to do is pop it in the microwave for two minutes, and it's already sterilized and ready to go. It's made out of imported plastic material that can kill up to 99.99% of bacteria.
It doesn't only hold up to six bottles, but other breast pump parts and accessories that make it less of a hassle when using breast pumps and other feeding equipment.
The bottles and equipment would stay sterilized for up to one day and free from any form of bacteria or smell. Another plus is that it has the ideal size and weight for me to quickly bring while I'm out, a perfect travel buddy when going out of the country with my baby.
- Compact and lightweight design
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Kills almost all types of bacteria in two minutes
- Easy to use and maintain
- Can sterilize other types of bottles and feeding equipment
- No water line for accurate measurement
- Need to wait for bottles to dry after sterilization
- Might burn fingers if you don't follow directions
Dr. Brown's offers a microwave sterilizer that has a compact design with a sterilizing tray, easily holding up to four Dr. Brown's baby bottles. It also includes tongs to stay safe while taking out the bottles, preventing burns or accidents.
It doesn't only hold baby bottles made by Dr. Brown's, but other standard and wide neck bottles as well. And don't worry about the size, because while it says it can fit four bottles, you can put as many as six smaller bottles and other forms of feeding equipment to utilize your time and workload.
It takes less than five minutes to sterilize the bottles completely and has no issues with warming it up. An excellent choice for a baby bottle sterilizer!
- Easy to use and sterilizes in less than five minutes
- Comes with a removable tray and tongs
- Fits up to six small bottles and feeding equipment
- BPA-free material
- Made from durable plastic from the USA
- A bit thinner than other sterilizers
- Slight smell after microwaving
- Won't fit many bottles if they are long or large
What I like about the Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer is that it can hold as much as four bottles and two pump shields in one sterilization session. It can also keep it clean for a whole day, ideal for one or two babies.
The sterilizer works in all types of microwaves, with the heat-resistant handles so you can quickly take it out without risk of burning your hands. At an affordable price, it's worth the investment!
- Holds both bottles and breast shields
- Heat-resistant handles
- Open-away latch to prevent steam burns
- Useful in any microwave
- Easy to use
- Affordable price
- Might leak
- Lid doesn't stay on well - Need to be careful
If you're looking for an electric steamer, then The First Years is an excellent choice. I like that it's made out of BPA-free material and with the strong construction built to last. It's also straightforward to use and clean since I just need to plug it in with the bottles and let it do its job.
I can see it's durable and keeps all the individual bottles free from bacteria thanks to its Steam Power Technology, which is a huge plus for my baby and me!
- Removable drying rack to air-dry items
- Straightforward and easy to use
- Fits any bottle size and pump set
- Easy to clean and low maintenance
- Effective in removing bacteria
- Not suitable for households with warm water
- More expensive than other sterilizers
- You might find brown items in the water
Tommee Tippee is another electric steam sterilizer that does an excellent job in sterilizing bottles within five minutes. It uses no chemicals and has the compact body that saves up on space and without any confusion when using.
In just one push of a button, it cleans the bottles efficiently with its BPA-free materials and sleek body fit to look great on any kitchen counter. With its massive capacity without taking up too much space, it's a must-buy!
- Only takes a button to use
- Sterilizes bottles automatically and in just five minutes
- Compact body for saving space
- Sleek design
- Big capacity for up to six bottles
- Condensation builds up on bottles- takes time to dry
- Bottom overheats sometimes
- A bit expensive than other types of sterilizers
To keep your baby safe and free from bacteria that grows from his bottle, then you should thoroughly sterilize it with a baby bottle sterilizer. It saves a lot of time and effort that way since you won't have the trouble of always boiling or steaming it manually.
Out of all the baby bottle sterilizers reviewed, the best one would go to Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer. It's made out of the imported plastic material built for durability, withstanding any microwave oven and can hold more than just bottles, but breast pump parts and accessories as well.
It’s easy to use and can eliminate almost all types of bacteria in two minutes, making it quick and efficient. I love the fact that it comes in such a small package and is lightweight, making it easy to travel with. And since it can keep my baby bottles sterile for up to a whole day, I won't need to worry about always cleaning it free from bacteria or dirt anymore.
I hope that this guide to the best baby bottle sterilizer helped you become more knowledgeable on what you need to invest for your baby. So what are you waiting for? If you need a handy product to assure the clean products your baby will use.
If you have any questions or would like to share your reviews on baby bottle sterilizers, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.