The Truth About Baby Teeth Coming In Crooked
As your baby grows to become a toddler, he will begin to develop his physical looks and mental abilities. One of them would be his teeth. Every parent dreams of their child having the bright and full smile, complete with the healthy teeth. But there will be times you see some baby teeth coming in crooked. It’s a bit worrisome for parents, as they want their child having the best set of teeth without the dental problems.
So why do you see baby teeth coming in crooked? Read on as I explain to you why this happens and how you can prevent and stop it.
What Are Crooked Teeth?
Your baby begins to grow new teeth, and it ends up looking misaligned or crooked, hence the name. Crooked teeth can come in different forms, sometimes crooked or overlapping one another.
If your baby has crooked teeth, then it may cause dental problems in the long run. Not only that, but it may interfere with his confidence, prompting him to get braces or find other remedies that are difficult or expensive to go through if it isn’t fixed at an early age.
Why Is Baby Teeth Coming In Crooked?
It must be frustrating seeing your baby’s teeth come in crooked, as it poses future problems! But why do they look that way, especially since they are new teeth?
Many parents expect their baby’s teeth to come in straight, but there are a few reasons why it looks misaligned.
- This is the common cause. If you, your spouse, or another family member was born with naturally crooked teeth, then chances are that your baby will inherit these genes. This is especially if your baby inherits both small jaw and large teeth from the parents.
#2. Thumb Sucking
- Yes, thumb sucking can affect his teeth! When he sucks his fingers, the thumb is between his teeth while his mouth is closed. The position ends up putting more pressure on the teeth, pushing them out and becoming crooked. It may also cause crowding.
- If not thumb sucking, then it may be because of your baby’s pacifier.
- Sometimes, it may just be an underdeveloped jaw or teeth. If your child’s teeth are spaced out, then that’s no cause for alarm. It’s a good thing, as it prevents crowding from happening.
- If your baby’s teeth seem crooked, it may take a bit more time for it to straighten naturally, especially if there is space between his teeth. All it takes is to wait it out and maintain his dental health.
Ways to Prevent or Stop Baby Teeth From Coming In Crooked
Now that you know why you see baby teeth coming in crooked, there are ways on how you can prevent it from happening or getting worse. Here are some tips you can follow:
#1. Stop the Thumb Sucking
- If your baby sucks his thumb or uses a pacifier, then it’s time to stop it for the sake of his health. Teach your child to stop thumb sucking and look for other alternatives, such as other toys to distract him.
- If he is now a grown toddler, then move on to sippy cups or eating alone, rather than using baby bottles and pacifiers.
#2. Consult a Dentist
- If you are worried about your baby’s teeth staying crooked, then you may ask a dentist for any advice he can give. He may provide dental services to help keep your baby’s teeth straight and healthy. It’s best for your baby to see the dentist at least twice a year.
#3. Keep His Teeth Healthy
- This is one of the most important things you can do to keep your baby’s teeth healthy while it starts to grow naturally. Make sure that you brush your baby’s teeth daily and that he eats healthy meals and snacks. This prevents cavities and any other problem with their dental health.
When your baby’s teeth come in crooked, it isn’t any cause for alarm! There are ways on how you can prevent it, as long as you know the cause and what you can do to stop it. Fortunately, crooked teeth are easy to repair for babies, and the earlier you find the reason why they have crooked teeth, the easier it is to prevent it.
Hopefully, this article answers your question: “Why is baby teeth coming in crooked?” Now, you know what you should do to have it fixed, ensuring a beautiful smile! So what are you waiting for? Try these methods on how to keep your baby’s teeth healthy and straight today.
If you have any more questions or opinions, then comment down below. I’d love to hear what you have to think.