Best baby bassinet 2018: Top 5 Choices You Won’t Regret!
When planning for your baby’s arrival, figuring out which pieces of furniture to buy can get rather tricky, especially if this is your first child.
But one piece that you should consider is a bassinet. It might come in handy during the first weeks of sleepless nights since it is small enough to go in your room right beside the bed.
So to get you started, we’re going to pass on some important info on what to look for in a bassinet (safety first!) Best of all, we’ll also take a look at some of the top 5 so that you can choose the best baby bassinet for your little one!
Our Top 5 Picks In 2018
Features of the best baby bassinet
First of all, it helps to know what to look for in a good bassinet. Also, you would have to consider the safety factor as well as the appearance. So here are some important features to keep in mind as you shop around for the best baby bassinet.
Furthermore, the features of rocking and vibration are optional. Granted both can be soothing for a baby who is overly tired or colicky. Nonetheless, they should be used with caution as rocking can cause the little one to roll onto his or her side.
Moreover, the apparatus that causes the vibration would need to be checked periodically (and preferable when the bassinet is empty) for functionality. This might sound like common sense, but we can never be too cautious.
Another notification to look for as you’re shopping in the store or online is a statement that says the product complies with safety standards such as the ASTM International or the JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association).
And yes, brand new is best. Often, with the first child, well-meaning relatives offer “heirloom” furniture, but to ensure safety and sturdiness, you should always opt for a new bassinet.
One last trait to keep in mind, as mentioned before, are the type of walls in the bassinet. Walls made from a mesh type of material allow for more ventilation and comfort for your baby. Furthermore, you’ll have more peace of mind because mesh walls also cut out the risk of suffocation.
For more safety tips, check out this video from JPMA.
Some Advantages to Having the Best Baby Bassinet
You might wonder whether you’re making a wise choice by investing in a bassinet as opposed to a crib. After all, it is smaller than a crib which means the child will outgrow it.
Well, there are situations when a bassinet might serve a purpose more than a crib. And actually, during the early weeks or months, you might decide that you need to sleep in the same room. After all, sleeping through the night won’t happen for quite some time. So a bassinet would come in handy. You can place it right beside your own bed.
Also, if you’re going to breastfeed, then a bassinet is definitely a necessity during those first 2 to 3 weeks. Your baby’s feeding patterns will be sporadic due to his or her small tummy requiring more frequent, yet smaller amounts of nourishment.
So for nights like this when your baby wakes up almost every hour, a bassinet is necessary.
Another reason why a bassinet would be practical is if you are recovering from a C-section. The last thing in the world that you’ll want to do is walk from one room to the next multiple times a night.
Thus, keeping a bassinet in your bedroom as close to your bed as possible would aid in the healing process and save you a lot of strain. Also, if the bassinet could be moved to whichever room you’ll occupy during the day, then that would be helpful as well. Just remember don’t ever move a bassinet with the baby inside.
Now that we’ve focused on the practicality and features that make up the best baby bassinet, we’ll now look at the traits of the top 5.
The Top 5 Baby Bassinets
Here are 5 choices to help you get started in your search for the best baby bassinet.
This bassinet was designed with mobility and comfort in mind. The entire piece sets up rather easily and quickly because of the legs that snap into the one-piece bed. Its frame is lightweight for easy carriage.
The head of the bed is partially made of a mesh material that provides ventilation while the rest is a canvas-like material. It comes with a mattress pad and large bag in which you can pack and carry the disassembled bassinet whenever you travel.
- The walls are least partially meshed to allow for ventilation.
- The entire piece is lightweight and travels easily with you in its own bag.
- The frame and legs are quite sturdy and do not slip
- It comes in neutral colors as well as pastels.
- It’s the same height as most beds so you won’t have to reach very far if it’s right beside your bed.
- Plus you can see your baby through the sides as opposed to having to peek over the top.
- When you take the item apart to place in the bag, it might be a challenge to zip up the bag completely.
- The mattress might feel a bit floppy.
- Fitted sheets that actually fit are sometimes hard to find.
If airflow is a top priority, then the Evenflo Loft has much to offer. The walls of the bed are almost constructed entirely out of mesh with the exception of the opposite ends.
Aside from the durable lightweight frame, the product’s features also include Blue Tooth speaker to play lullabies or other soft noises to soothe your baby. Plus there is a nightlight built in along with a temperature reader that monitors the atmosphere in the room.
- The mesh siding allows for visibility and ventilation
- The lightweight frame makes this item easy to travel with
- The technology that’s included helps in keeping your baby calm and happy
- This also comes in neutral colors in case you don’t know your baby’s gender ahead of time
- The mesh can be difficult to wipe off easily
- This is not so easy to take apart if you’re planning to travel with it
This pink and white bassinet by Disney is designed for babies who weigh up to 15 lbs. The canopy is removable if you wish to allow for more ventilation. It also comes equipped with a nightlight and a music box and vibration. The durable base can glide along and has a shelf at the bottom for storage of necessary items. It is also JPMA certified.
- This bassinet has a distinct princess-like design.
- This product meets the safety standards of the ASTM.
- The canopy shields from bright lighting which helps during nap time.
- The nightlight gives off just enough light to help with late-night nursing and diaper changing.
- The wheels allow for easy moving.
- It is reasonably priced.
- The canopy is a bit difficult to remove and attach back on
- This one takes a little more time to put together; make sure to keep the instructions on hand
The Badger Basket comes completely equipped with the canopy, a foam mattress, and a liner and skirt that can be removed for washing. The strong metal frame does not require any tools for assembly. Plus this one is designed for babies that weigh up to 20 lbs. Other limits include the 3-month age mark and/or ability to push up or roll over.
You can also flip up the wheels so the bassinet will rock like a cradle. When you look underneath the skirt, you will find a storage shelf as well.
- It comes in a neutral color, and all bedding is included
- The frame is very sturdy but light
- With such a sturdy frame, this bassinet might be utilized for a slightly longer period of time
- The wheels lock up to prevent slipping
- This bassinet complies with all U.S. safety standards that apply to this type of product
- The shelf is a bit hard to get to underneath the skirt
- The skirt is quite eye-catching but can attract a lot of dust. Frequent washing is recommended
The bassinet by Fisher-Price can travel with you around the house or around the country. The legs attach to the sides of the bed. The surrounding walls are constructed from a mesh material. So you can have your visibility, and your baby will have the air flow.
It also comes with a washable fitted sheet, a waterproof mattress, and vibration. Since it’s also designed with traveling in mind, a bag is included for easy carrying.
The color scheme is a neutral white with a colorful sheet.
- The frame is durable and appears to be long-lasting.
- The maximum weight limit is 20 pounds and could possibly be used for a while longer (keeping in mind activity limits like rolling over).
- The sheet can be easily thrown into the washer; the mattress and walls are easy to keep clean also.
- This serves the purpose of providing a good amount of ventilation for the baby.
- It’s easy to put together and doesn’t take a lot of time or effort.
- While this product is quite portable, keep in mind that it might not travel well by plane since not all parts fold (the mattress stays flat, of course)
- Its weight would definitely not make it a viable option to take on a plane
And the winner is…
Actually, this list was rather difficult to choose, but if I had to look at safety, functionality, and price, I believe the Fisher Price is the best baby bassinet. I like the durable frame and to be honest, the fact that it doesn’t have wheels. That’s a feature that I can feel better about because I don’t have to worry about whether or not the brakes are intact.
The other advantage that I liked is the mesh and how it surrounds the entire circumference of the bed. That means that I can simply look over from my own bed to check on the baby. And not only that, I don’t have to worry about the baby getting too warm due to lack of ventilation. The flat firm mattress is also a great safety feature, which is another reason why this bassinet does not seem to pose a risk for suffocation.
And in regard to safety, I also feel more secure with this choice of bassinet because there is absolutely no rocking involved.
So there you have it five of the best bassinets. I hope you found this information to be helpful in your search for the perfect bed for your baby. And we’d love to hear how your search is going along with any other insights on nursery equipment.