What are the benefits of Kegel exercises?
Kegel exercises, also referred to as pelvic floor exercises, are basically working on the pelvic muscles to strengthen them so you can exert better control. The pelvic muscles support the bladder, small intestine, rectum and uterus in women. Kegel exercises have many benefits for women, especially those who suffer from urinary incontinence and post childbirth problems such as excess fat in the lower abdominal area, a lowered uterus, poor bladder control and stress incontinence. Some women lose the firmness in their vaginal muscles. Kegel exercises can undo these effects of pregnancy and childbirth. Kegel exercises are also beneficial for men. Here is a comprehensive list of benefits of kegel exercises.
1. Kegel exercises strengthen the pelvic muscles and also help them heal if they have been strained and stressed for some reason. Every muscle will get weaker if it is not put to good use. If you do not have an active lifestyle, if you are overweight or obese, if you make poor dietary choices and if there are medical conditions that impair the strength or wellbeing of your pelvic muscles, then you will fail to control them and in due course of time the organs they support and hold in their rightful places will begin to move downward. These can pave the way for many health problems. Kegel exercises will enable you to regain control of your pelvic muscles.
You would be able to strengthen them as you continue your kegel exercises. There will come a time when your pelvic muscles will be as strong as they were ever or stronger.
2. Pelvic muscles can get stressed and strained during childbirth. Women who have such an issue would benefit from kegel exercises. If performed well, kegel exercises will also tighten vaginal muscles. Any tissue that is scarred in the area, any problems with natural blood flow or circulation issues, compressed tissues or cramped muscles in the lower abdominal area would also get healed.
3. Kegel exercises would enable women and men to have optimum control of their bladder. Men and women, especially those who are older and relatively not so healthy, are vulnerable to urinary continence. Pregnant women and some young mothers too may have incontinence issues, but this is not the same as urinary incontinence among older women.
Regardless of the cause of urinary incontinence, kegel exercises can improve the condition and help you regulate bladder control. If urinary incontinence is caused due to obesity, old age or the bladder having got lowered due to weak muscles, then kegel exercises can prove to be a godsend.
4. Kegel exercises can also help women to have a healthy uterus. Many women suffer some damage in the uterus during the birthing process. Some women also have issues during pregnancy. The uterus can get healed completely, with a little support in the form of natural blood flow to the area and from the adjoining muscles and membranes that hold the organ in its place. Kegel exercises increase blood circulation and the stronger pelvic muscles will expedite the healing process.
5. Kegel exercises can improve sex life, especially sexual intercourse. This is true for both men and women. Pelvic thrust is a crucial component of sexual intercourse. Women who have tighter vaginas will always have more satiation during sex. Men too would have a more satiating orgasm. The pelvic thrust determines pleasures and it is not just about depth but the actual physical impact. Women and men with weaker pelvic muscles would fail to generate the thrust needed for optimum pleasure. Kegel exercises can change how you have sex; that is unless you already have amazing strength in your pelvic muscles.
6. Kegel exercises can tighten the ligaments in the lower abdomen and the womb of women. Many women suffer tears in the ligaments in this region during pregnancy and childbirth. As the fetus grows, the body of a woman has to accommodate its increasing size and hence makes some changes.
A few changes are compelled by the growing fetus and the body does not resist. Torn ligaments and scarred tissues are very common and they do not have to be serious in any way. However, it is always better to heal torn ligaments and scarred tissues sooner than later.
7. Kegel exercises help women to prevent rapid weight gain. The workout facilitates weight loss. This is also true for men. While women are prone to gain weight after childbirth due to various biological reasons, men too can gain weight after becoming a father. This may be for a psychological reason for some men.
Some men do not have any reason to gain weight after becoming a dad, albeit there are those who have to quit their regular exercise to make time for the newborn. No matter why you or your better half gains weight, kegel exercises can help and keep it in check. The weight gain can be reversed in due course of time.